Land Disturbance Activity
Land disturbance is dredging, clearing, grading, excavating, transporting or filling. See the list below for what land disturbing activity does not include. Land disturbance activities require best management practices to prevent sediment from leaving one’s property and entering streams. Whitfield County and the Georgia Environmental Protection Division have regulations regarding land disturbance activities. Sediment is the number one pollutant to Stormwater because sediment carries many pollutants that attach to the soil particles.
An erosion, sedimentation and pollution control plan (commonly known as a soil erosion plan) and permit are required for all land disturbance activities greater than 1 acre, land disturbance located inside a common development (subdivision developed after 2000) or land disturbance less than 1 acre within 200 ft of a year round stream.
Land Disturbing Activity does NOT inlcude:
- Surface mining
- Granite quarrying
- Minor land-disturbing activities ie. Home gardens and landscaping
- Construction of single-family residences not part of a larger project; provided the activity meets State minimum requirements.
- Agricultural and forestry practices
- Any project under the technical supervision of the Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Projects involving 1.0 acres or less (if not within 200 feet of perennial stream)
- Construction or maintenance by the Department of Transportation, Georgia Highway Authority, Georgia Tollway Authority; road construction or maintenance project undertaken by counties or municipalities; provided the activity meets State minimum requirements.
- Projects undertaken by EMCs or municipal electrical systems, or any public utility under the Public Service Commission, provided the activity meets State minimum requirements.
Call or email for a review of your specific project or activity.
Did you know land disturbance adjacent to a creek or stream is prohibited by state and local law?
Check here for details.
Land Disturbance Forms and Links
Stormwater and Erosion Inspections
201 S Hamilton St
Dalton, GA 30720